Saturday, May 10, 2014

2014 River Ruckus 4/26 -Individual Comp

This weekend was the 2nd annual Revici River Ruckus in Asheville, NC.    I had won last year only due to the winner takes all nature of the final and wanted to come back and see what I could do this year.  My homegirl, Kate Miller, was competing with me in the Individual and then we paired up with our partners, Corey & Rick, in the team event on Sunday.


It's been interesting to observe my own growth and shifts as an athlete.  For so long I struggled with a state of dread around competitions.  I'd wake up on those mornings and feel like I hated competing and would question why I even bothered signing up.  My coach once told me, "You just have to get over the wall".  For me, the first event was typically that wall, but sometimes it took the entire event to be complete before I could finally breathe and look back with appreciation towards my involvement & my learnings & growth that came from each experience.     

Tough to pinpoint exactly why this shift has transpired for me, but my best answer would be a greater accepting of my own values.  Once I realized I wanted to be an athlete I carried a lot of shame and guilt around this idea.  Who was I to declare that I wanted to be an athlete and put so much time, energy & resources towards this goal?  What was I going to get from pursuing this goal?  When I couldn't see the direct possibility of making a living or setting myself up to raise a family I struggled.  It was my perspective that as a woman in our society you either work to make a living or pursue raising your own family, &/or some combination there of, yet what I wasn't exposed to was the idea of 30-something female chasing her childhood dreams of becoming an athlete.  I have had to create and accept this idea for myself.  By doing so I have found it easier to live with less stress and more enjoyment.  

Back to the River Ruckus...
Event 1: 
3 RFT
50ft Burpee Broad Jump (hands go where feet land)
20 KBS (2/1.5 pd)
20 Pistols

This one went out fast and I was a good ways off the leaders after round 1.  Moving through the burpees of round 2 I noticed the leaders breaking up their KBS.  I knew that if I could close the gap on the 2nd round that I could continue to go UB and push ahead on round 3.  That is exactly what happened and I took the lead during the burpees of round 3 and never looked back.  

Event 2: 
7 Minute Ascending Ladder
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...
C2B Pull-ups
Clean
Shoulder to OH @ 115lbs


In warm-up I did some TnG practice with the shoulder to OH at 95, 115 and then 135.  Popped 135 x 3 off my shoulders comfortably and knew it was going to be a good event.  Went UB on all the C2Bs with no problem.  I don't remember when I started but at some point I would do all the cleans TnG except the last one before brining it to my shoulders.  Then once I got it to my shoulders I went TnG on all the jerks.  Finished a full round of 8 & the C2B & cleans of 9 for another 1st.  

Event 3: 
360m 40# SB run on the track 
40m Front Rack WL w/bag
360m SB run 
40m SB Bear Complex + throw SB for distance 
360m SB run 


Another event that went out really fast and I was a good ways back at the end of the 1st run.  A little bit of doubt snuck in until I got to the WL and strolled by everyone except for Kate going into the 2nd run.  I wasn't able to close on the run, but I held my distance.  She was a state qualifier thrower in high school so I knew I had my work cut out for me on the bear complex.  I focused on moving as relaxed yet as fast as I could on the complex to take advantage of my size and try to turn over the reps faster knowing she'd throw farther.  She got called back on a couple of throws as they were strict about not jumping and sliding our feet during the throw.  This allowed me to edge ahead going into the run and then I shuffled hard trying to pick up my feet all the way into the finish, as once I got into the lead I wanted to keep it.  

Event 4:
50 ft HS Walk Buy in then: 
3 RFT
10 Deadlifts @ 185
25 ft sled push
50 Double unders
25 ft sled push
20 Toes to bar

Kate & I were 1-2 going into the final.  Honestly, I was expecting to have a lead on her off the HS walk, but she was incredibly fast on her hands and had the lead into the first round.  I went UB on the TTB and took the lead back from there until the finish.  


We ended up going 1-2 overall and it was an awesome day of competitive exercise together.  :)
Full results here. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment