Monday, August 20, 2012

120804 Bowen Workout

We had a fundraiser at the gym today in honor of Asheville firefighter Captain Jeff Bowen who lost his life fighting a fire in a medical high rise building last July.  We had an incredible turnout with six other gyms & over 125 people participating in the workout.  We ran heats starting at 7:30am & I went in the final heat at 11:30.  A big thank you to my awesome coaching staff particularly Amber Beane for helping to run everything so that I could chill out, oversee & not be completely drained at the end of the morning!



The workout was:

3 Rounds of:
800m run
7 deadlifts  @ 185lbs
10 burpee pull-ups 8' bar 
14 single arm KB thrusters @ 35#
20 box jumps 20"


Round 1 was around 6:10, Round 2 in 13:00 & overall time of 20:23.  I had two guys ahead of me the whole workout until the final round.  I beat the first guy off the burpee pull-ups & the last guy I caught on the final set of box jumps.  It felt good to push at the end.  I knew (or at least thought to myself) going out on the final run that it was going to come down to the final box jumps & just started preparing myself to knock out 20 straight to finish it out.
Oddly enough the run was the hardest part. After the first round I didn't feel like I could pick up my feet.   Deadlifts were UB & smooth, burpee pull-ups made my belly start to turn a bit, KB thrusters were much easier on rounds 2 & 3 when I did my left (weaker side) first.  Box jumps were smooth, but mentally tough when you start to get that pukey feeling.

1 comment:

  1. The pukey feeling!!!!! It sounds cute when typed that like… Not so fun though!

    ReplyDelete