Thursday, May 9, 2013

OPTathlon 4.0 Appreciations & Learnings



Rest day Saturday 
May 5, 2013
OPTathlon 4.0 
Bodyweight 125lbs

Top 3 ladies and gents 



Event 1: 10 min to max C&J 
Appreciations: I was able to maintain focus and stick to my game plan despite poor warm-up.  Warmed up to my opening weight (155lbs) and it felt horrid.  Considered opening lighter, but stuck to my plan and it flew up…then had the confidence to jump 10lbs.   
Had a few distractions throughout…had to run across the room to find another 2.5lb plate and my judge asked me three different times what was on the bar.  In training I typically ask people not to talk about what I have on the bar, but this time I decided to just own it and not let it freak me out.  
Was the first time that I was able to hit my goal (175lbs) and keep going.  I have the habit of celebrating too soon and potentially limiting myself on that day for what else I may be able to get.  When you celebrate too early sometimes it's like you check out for the day/event.  I hit the 175lbs and confidently threw another 2.5lbs per side.  From there I had this feeling of "hell yeah, 180lbs, let's do this!  I'm ready to be hitting numbers like this!"  vs the habit would be, "holy geez I can't believe I just jerked 175lbs….180lbs is so much weight."  I was stoked about the 180 and felt a bit more doubt sneak in as I was loading to 185lbs.  Caught the power clean a bit lower on my shoulders than the previous ones, but fought for it successfully.  That zapped a bit out of my confidence to drive it overhead as time ticked down.....10lbs PR on jerk and 15lbs on power clean!  

Learnings: I think I could have jumped another 10lbs from 165-175lbs but being that 175 was a PR I doubted myself and stuck with 5lb jump to 170lbs.  Done over I'd keep the excitement and let go of the doubt.  Would have enabled a bit more rest before 185lbs.    

Event 2: Triple jump: 
20' something...cannot presently find results online. Down over a foot from the fall. 
Appreciations: I stayed positive despite a shorter jump than last fall
Learnings: My buffalo essence does not give me the natural ability to quickly rebound and instinctively be explosive off the ground.  I must prioritize bounding and some jumping/running drills in my warm-ups to maintain/develop the ability.  I've generally allowed myself to be lazy in my warm-ups recently and have not had the motivation to do explosive work…when I'm tired and it's not in my essence it's that much harder to prioritize.  Would be helpful to simply include in programming or discuss how many days of week I should prioritize leading into these events. 

Event 3 : Row Repeats 
Appreciations: I have grown in accepting the task and wasting less mental energy thinking about how much I hate something or don't want to do something.  
Improved from 1:52.5/1:53.5 to 1:51.5 & 1:53.1.  
Learnings: Set the screen to where I can see "estimated finish time".  The first one I hit my goal right on despite only being able to see the pace of each pull and not my overall average.  I felt good doing it and although my goal for my second was 1:52.5 I opted to dig  a little faster than that pace for the first few hundred meters around 1:47-1:51.  I don't know what I was averaging, but I fell off and starting hitting between 1:52-1:55 and my overall time ended up being 1:53.1.  I think if I had known what I was averaging I could have focused on keeping it in the low 1:52s vs digging too deep too soon and not being able to maintain.  

Event 4: Mixed Modal 
This time around it was 
AMRAP in 8 minutes: 
40 T2B buy-in, then 
AMRAP of 
10 DLs (115lbs)
10 burpees over the bar. 
7 rounds + 11 reps 

As soon as I heard this workout my first thought was, "I wonder if I can do 40 T2B ub?"  The answer is yes, although I came down at 37 b/c I was starting to lose my grip.  I know I could have held on for 3 more in an "AMRAP without dropping off the bar" scenario, but didn't want to risk ripping or wasting time with a slow kip.  Had planned of 10 ub DLs, then burpees split into 4 fast, breathe, 4 fast, breathe, 2 fast…immediately back to DLs.  Then I watched James do the workout and he was dropping DLs here and there and immediately picking the bar back up.  I decided that made more sense so I started doing 5s and then into same burpee plan.  Felt like I was resting a bit more than I wanted to b/w stuff so i was thankful when James came over and gave me a new game plan of deadlifts in 4, 3, 3 and burpees in 2s.  Rest times shorted a lot at that point and I was able to keep my head down and just work.  
Appreciations: I didn't let myself get distracted and start looking up at the clock.  I responded well to coaching cues and changing game plan in the moment.  

Event 5: Reverse shot throw (35'6") 
Appreciations: Ended up going sooner than expected due to some changes in heats & I wasn't boggled by it. 
Learnings: Similar to triple jump I need to practice skills to maximize my potential for relatively low-effort points here. (easier efforts than circuit/row repeats or 3k run)

Event 6: 3k run (12;25)
Appreciations: Found a groove and worked.  Able to stay positive and focused throughout.  Didn't know what pace I was running due to more laps on shorter track, but had fun with it and just focused on setting short range goals throughout the race….ie. when to pick it up, when to pass who, etc. 
Learnings: I can maintain my ability to run long.  I would have struggled to go much faster, but probably could have physically held similar pace for another 2-7k.  

Although my jump & throw were less than in the fall I improved my overall best score from 6120 to 6261.  It was a second place finish today, but also put me in second for the top scores in history of the event.   I really appreciate this event for comparison time after time.  It keeps me on track with where I am in various areas of my fitness.  

Time to keep prepping for Regionals!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment