Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Training 9/5/12 Hang clean PB

Sleep  In bed by 8 but probably not asleep until 930/10ish.  Up at 4:15a.
Coaching 5a-8a.

I first noted a sore throat on Saturday, August 26th  which was the week after I returned from vacation. That lasted on & off for a few days & then it turned into this lingering cough.  The dang cough is still lingering.  My energy/motivation levels have been up & down over this time.  Sleep not as ideal & up until Labor Day I have been eating ice cream almost daily for much of the month of August.  I had told myself after Regionals that I was going to eat as I felt (which still mostly means quite well, as I don't like how I feel when I eat like total crap) through Labor Day & re-access from there.  Well, other than lack of sleep it seems that this annoying cough/drainage in the back of my throat may be related to irritation from the dairy as I was noticing it more so at the end of the evening after ice cream or cheese.  Today I took the cream back out of my coffee as well & will be doing all I can to optimize sleep & all other stressors in my life going forward, as I have some busy weeks coming up & want to be able to get in some quality training.  I've left out some quality sessions due to low fatigue in these past weeks.  It's good that I'm listening to my body, but it's better to put myself in a position that I have the energy/motivation to hit the tough workouts & then I don't have the mental/emotional stressor of guilt associated with missing some key workouts.

With all that said I missed out on rowing today as the coughing was worse...all day long instead of just at night.  But I did hit a hang clean PB.  This is the 2nd time this month that I was power cleaning (today hang power cleans) & I was able to stand up the squat when I caught it deep!  Finally gaining some strength/confidence with my squatting!

Training @ 8:30
A. 12 minutes to a heavy HPC triple: 83, 103, 123, 133, 143, 153x3.  End of time.  Felt super smooth @ 153 so I threw 5# on each side & went for a single!  


B. EMOM for 6 minutes with 90% of A (the triple).  Used 138lbs.  Had about 10 minutes from the hang clean single until I started this, as I was talking with clients & the first few sets felt tough, but then I got back in the groove.  No misses. 
C1. BTNP @ 3211; 4-6 reps. Rest ~30s   45, 50, 55, 60lbs all x 6.  Pecs/triceps still super sore from Murph.  Some R ant shoulder discomfort bring the bar back to my shoulders on all except the final set @ 60lbs.  
C2. NGHP @ 31X1; 4-6 reps. Rest 2-3 minutes. 30, 35, 40, 45lbs x 6.  No pain!  Finally
I am adding back in some behind the neck pressing as when I was warming up for some snatching last week & attempted to strict press the 15kg bar off my back in a snatch width grip I could barely do it & it elicited some of my shoulder pain.  Relative to my clean my snatch is rather low & has been much slower to progress.  Plus I always feel weaker trying to jerk/press from behind the neck.   I've had some chronic right shoulder issues since high school summer softball league that was then injured my first year of CrossFit (2007) when I jumped up on the bar & attempted a bar muscle up with zero warm-up hanging out in the gym.  I felt something painful at that point & was quite limited for a few months.  In recent years I can go months/years without even thinking about it, but more recently with less sleep particularly it will talk to me.  So long story short this is why I'm trying to do some of the less glamorous but necessary lifts when I find certain weaknesses.
The NGHP was painful at 22-28lbs a few weeks back so I'm finally seeing a bit of progress there!
D. Deadlift: 5x195lbs, 5x210, 5x220lbs

Afternoon nap then ~70 minute hike with Corey & dogs @ Bent Creek.
Off to Scottsdale, AZ in the morning for some weekend training/learning at OPT!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment