Saturday, June 15, 2013

MidAtlantic Regional 2013 Day 1

This was by far the most composed I have ever been going into a Regional competition.  I started to worry that I would feel flat on Game Day when I felt at ease Thursday at check-in.  But not to fear Friday morning the butterflies greeted me.

Event 1: 
"Jackie"
1k row
50 thrusters (45lbs)
30 pullups
for time.

This workout went FAST!  I fell asleep a bit on the row and went through the 500m around 2:08 which is a touch slower than I was planning, but then I was really nervous to not be able to go unbroken on the thrusters so I didn't want to start digging on the second half to compensate.  I hung out there and finished around 2:15/2:16.  I was definitely the last off the rower.  
Did a good job of attacking the thrusters which was the plan.   Focused on one rep at a time and tried to move faster than I did in practice.  I remember hitting rep 33 and seeing reps taken away from one of the girls in front of me and the next thing I knew I was hitting 50 reps.  Pull-up rhythm felt a bit off.  I didn't warm them up much as my hands were feeling sore on the bar and I should have tapped, but didn't tape any of the practice runs and didn't have a problem.  But while I hung on for 30 I lost my BF kip the last few reps as I ripped.  Finished in 4th with 6:43 which was an 8s PR.  



Event 2
7 minute to 3 rep max OHS.

Rest 2 minutes

Event 3
30 burpee MUs for time.  (7 min cap)

We had 4 options as to what our starting weight would be: 85, 125, 155, or 175lbs.  My 1RM is 155lbs so while I wanted to open at 155, I was freaked out over missing, as if I didn't get three it wouldn't only be a last place finish, but my weekend would be over.  While I knew it would keep me from having a decent chance to qualify, it was more important for me to get the experience of the full weekend than to take the risk.  I've put in a lot of time in the gym over the past year and Regionals only comes around once a year.  There are not really any other competitions that have the same feel.  
So I went conservative and opened with 125lbs.  We were only able to jump 5lbs at a time so I did 125, 130, 135, 140 & 145lbs in the 7 minutes.  I still felt pretty smooth with the 145lbs, but you never know what may have otherwise happened.  This was my worst finish of the weekend with a tie for 28th.  



Event 3 I had practiced twice in training.  The first time I completed 29 in the time cap and the second time I got 30 in 6:58 or so.  I hadn't previously done as many OHS sets beforehand so I wasn't sure if that would be a factor.  The OHS were not an issue, but the rings were certainly swinging more than in my gym and I had a difficult time reaching them to steady the swing so that was the most time consuming part.  Finished at the buzzer and didn't know until 10 or 20 minutes later that I was the only one to finish.  I had assumed that I missed the announcement as to who else was done, as I heard people 3 reps or more ahead of me when I was at 15 which was also the only time I glanced at the clock and it was exactly the halfway point so I knew I had to keep it moving to finish.  Was thankful to get through this one and the burpee MU is definitely a fun movement.  
1st place in BMU and I think I was in 9th at the end of day 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment