Saturday, June 15, 2013

MidAtlantic Regional Day 2

Day 2

Slept fairly well after day 1.  Got about 9 solid hours with the help of some melatonin....didn't use it going into Jackie but I didn't want to stare at the ceiling all night before the 100s.  I know there are different theories on this...that it's good to be all stressed out, but personally I hate feeling tired and had practiced the melatonin in training without any issues.

Event #4 "The 100s"
100 wall balls
100 C2B pullups
100 pistols
100 snatches at 50lbs
25 minute time cap.

I was nervous for this one, but not as nervous as Jackie.  I was also excited to attack this one, as it had gone well in training.  The first time I completed 56 snatches and the second 76 .  I was confident that I would be able to finish it on Game Day and was looking forward to doing so.  
Well, I kept to my plan on the WBs: 25, 7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 8, 7, 8, 8, 7...plan was for ~10s rest b/w sets.  That was a bit slow as I was 5:35 vs 5:15 coming off the wall balls.  
C2B pull-ups went well.  I did 32 sets of 3 and one set of 4.  Done over I think I would have done one big chunk and then gone to sets of 3.  I think that could have given me a bit of an edge without burning out, but I didn't practice it that way so stuck with the plan.  I closed on the crew a bunch and was the second to come off the pullups just behind Crawford.
I got off the pull-ups and then it was like I literally forgot to be excited.  I forgot to compete. I stopped attacking.  I had this damn mantra in my head of "pace and breathe".  I knew I shouldn't be thinking it, but wasn't able to switch gears.  And well....I paced and breathed and got passed.  
I don't know why I took my water bottle out on the floor with me.  I never had water or BCAAs on the floor in training, but was nervous as I felt pretty hungry going into the event. ( Had two hard boiled eggs and banana with PB each of the three mornings for breakfast.  The issue was probably not with breakfast, but with not enough the night before.  Had a burger without the bun and some fries, but not sure that I even finished the fries....learn for the future.)  
I ended up taking 5th overall completing 59 snatches.  This moved me up to 5th overall.  
In general, this is the workout that I really wanted to improve upon this year...the big chipper that they have every year.  And while I was disappointed that I didn't feel like I showed what I was truly capable of I still placed MUCH higher than I have on these workouts in the past two years.  Although I am presently unable to find the previous years placings, but I am quite confident that I was not top 10.  

 

Event 5
21-15-9
Deadlift 205lbs
Box jumps 24"

I first did this workout two years ago in over 6:30 (Exact times used to be here??) and then again on three different times last summer/fall.  The first retest was 5:09 last August, then 4:35 in November and a week later 3:55.  I was stoked.  I did it four weeks before regionals again and this time I was back down to 4:40.   I had more touches on deadlifting in the weeks leading into Regionals and while it helped me to feel better on the DLs my box jumps were off and quite heavy.  Overall time was 4:37 for a 17th place finish.  20s faster would have moved me up into 10th and cleaning up my box jumps alone would have probably equaled 20s.  Generally, it was an improvement from the recent practice as I had more distance between stations and had to move the bar each time which ate up time.   

4:37 for 17th
Honestly I was hoping to make a bigger statement here than I did.  I wanted to go unbroken and I wanted to move faster.  But I didn't have that today.  I don't have a video from the 3:55 but I knew that I was using the rebound to speed up the deadlifts.  They made a big deal about not doing that here so I played it conservative...I think I could have pushed the edge here a bit and gotten away with it, as the judges in my region didn't seem to be very strict on the deadlifts.  Main leaning continues to be to take more risks and push to be more aggressive.  Gotta work against my nature to pace & move steady.  Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment