Monday, July 23, 2012

CrossFit Games Reaction

"Can you see yourself there next year?"
" I can't wait to cheer you on next year!"
" You're definitely going to the Games next year!"

These are all examples of the questions & exclamations that I have heard since returning home from CA.  I appreciate it all, I really do.

I DO see myself on the floor at the Games in the future.  Will it be next year?  I don't know.  Will they bring the endurance favored events to the Regional level?  Will they increase the DL load to 21 reps at 245lbs?  Will I become proficient enough with my bodyweight movements to hang with the post-collegiate gymnasts?  Will I make enough strength gains over this next year to give me the needed baseline to compete as one of the smallest in the field?  These are all things that will be determined over the next year, but that I cannot answer at this point in time.

I'm a dreamer & I have lived that experience when dreams become reality.  My definition of "dreams" being something that at some point in time seems nearly impossible but that you fantasize about doing yourself & you gradually work yourself towards that level.   It's magical.  I first experienced this in high school when from 8th-12th grade I very gradually worked from 2nd to last place in my first race to a 4th place finish in cross country & the mile at the state meets. (the 4th place thing is a bit of an upper limited I seemed to deal with back in the day but that is a whole other story).  Nonetheless, I want to experience it again.  That is what motivates me to better myself & helps guide my decisions for how I train, eat, sleep & live one day at a time.

Being at the Games gave me a clearer picture of what I feel I need to do in order to reach that level.  I've never felt this clear about my own training before.  Corey pointed out to me that whenever I talked about my own training in the past it was always, "what should I do" vs now I'm talking with a "this is what I need to do" tone.  And it's not just one thing.  So it's that careful balance of determining my priorities and focusing in on them.  Through different training phases some priorities will shift, but all with the goal of bringing myself to the highest level of what fitness means to me & hopefully what the CF community considers fitness to me.  BUT I can only control what I can & I'm OK with that.

Getting to this point-continuing to build a badass baseline of strength while maintaining (& in time improving upon) my endurance/stamina & gaining more & more exposure to all the skills utilized in CrossFit takes time, consistency & persistence.  Hence my new blog title-Baby Steps to Success.  I've made a bunch of gradual changes ( & continue to make changes) to get my businesses & personal life in a place where my stress is low & will allow me to train enough to have a chance against those that are being paid to train.  I'm also a big fan of the movie, What About Bob?    :)


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment