Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday 7/31/12 Back squat PRs!

Sleep: I turned myself away from the Olympics around 8p & went upstairs to read.  Actually asleep somewhere between 9/9:30&5am.  A bit tired this morning, but energy came around well.

Coaching 6:30-8:30

Training @ 8:30

A. Back squat 5, 3, 5, 3, 5, 3; rest 2:30
175x5, 185x3, 185x5, 195x3, 190x5, 205x3
Super stoked! Old 5RM was 185lbs & old 3RM was 190lbs.
I told Corey about a month ago that the next time I squat over 200lbs I"m going to do it for reps. I was thinking about this as I went to bed last night & knew it was going to happen based upon how my warm-up & early sets felt today. I debated whether to do 3x200 or jump to 3x205lbs. But after the 3x195lbs I KNEW I'd get 200x3 & wanted to see what 205 felt like. It was a good decision. Really happy about this session especially after failing on my 4th rep @ 185lbs last week! It's not that I'm really all that stronger than last week, but my sleep was far better. Value your sleep people!

(Sorry for all the horrible noise in these videos. I don't know what is going on with my phone. I need to start recording them with the volume muted. In the meantime I'd recommend watching them without the sound as it's really annoying!)


Covered ID floor 9:30-11:30 then...
B. Snatch balance: Build quickly to tough single.
63/83/103/113/123F in front, 123 F in back. Done.  Practicing the wider grip I started playing around with on Thursday.  I don't feel as stable overhead there yet. 
C. Snatch: 10 min to single
83/103/113F, 113/118 (ties PR), 123F, 123F.  Still playing with the wide grip.  I'm jumping forward after the bar & not staying on my heels during the 2nd pull, but feeling more powerful.  In time. 
D. 2 muscle-ups @ the top of every 30s.  Done with first miss.
4 sets plus 1 & missed my 2nd. No tape.  Working on training my hands & getting more consistent with 2 in a row.  I've gotten to the point where I feel confident that I can hit a single MU at nearly any point, but now working to get more consistent with linking. 
E. 3 UB C2B pull-ups @ the top of every 10s for 1 min. Done. BF kip good for about half.

Cooler than hitting a back squat PR today was watching my old training buddy Kate knock out her first experience with Grace while in town visiting.  (I'm hoping she moves back to the mountains one day!)  She said to me beforehand, "How should I pace this?"  I told her to go AMRAP & then finish it out.  She went 26 straight...started to lose her coordination with the jerk & then finished out a strong final 4 for an overall time of 1:36!  Check her out...


1 comment:

  1. You are pulling back instead of up... makes you chase the bar forward. Everything else looks perfect! Nice job with the squats!

    ReplyDelete