Sunday, March 23, 2014

3/22 14.4


I made myself finish my breakfast of oatmeal, PB & 2 fried eggs before going into the gym-vs taking it in and only having time to pick at it and then start this worry that I didn't eat enough and run out of time to eat before I need to begin. Saturdays tend to be hopping with energy but it's especially so with the Open Season happening.  I love it, but definitely have to keep my awareness to get my work in & not get too caught up cheering for others, as that tends to exhaust me. 

930a
A. Front squat @20X1; 2-4x5; rest 2 min
4 x 145, 165, 3 x 175, 2 x 185, 1 x 195. No misses, but they were tough. No belt. 
Rest was definitely 3 minutes at least between.  

1030
B. Clean 2,2,1,1; rest 2 min
2 x 155, 2 x 165, 1 x 175, F @ 185.  Had it to my shoulders in the bottom of the squat, but didn't open my hook grip and as such my elbows were not around as far as needed to be able to stand up the squat.  Pull is feeling powerful. No videos here today. 

+
14.4
AMRAP in 14 minutes
Row 60 cals
50 Toes to Bar
40 Wall balls (14lbs/9')
30 Cleans @ 95lbs
20 Muscle-ups

Drank water with BCAAs & coffee after my morning weightlifting but didn't do a shake as I have the previous 3 weeks to keep my stomach empty this time.  
Started warming up around 1130.  15 minutes on AirDyne + 1 min ski.  Some brief ROM stuff then EMOM TnG C&J at 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145. Felt good. 
2 x 30s tough on AirDyne with 3 minutes rest. 
Had planned to do some circuits of the row/TTB/WB/PC/MU with rest b/w but never got that far.  One 30s bout on the rower. Did 2-3 single MUs over the time to adjust the rings which was longer than anticipated. A handful of TTB.  One area of my calluses felt a bit sensitive from the KB swing work yesterday and I was contemplating doing a full tape job, but I just stayed conservative on how many TTB/MU reps in warm-up.  One power clean at game weight just before starting and a couple WBs for my judge after the camera was already rolling.  


Row was conservative in 3:52
TTB opened with 22 then 8...maybe three more sets of 6-9 to finish it off.
WBs something like 15, ...not sure if I did 16 or two sets to get to 31 but I remember finishing with a set of 9. 
Planned to do singles on power clean, but did the first rep and felt that I wasn't going to turn them over as fast as I wanted for singles so then I tried a couple TnG and that felt better.  Chipped away with 2-4 at a time and ended with 2 singles. 
Tie break time of 11:06. 
On to the MUs...
Despite my shoulder not bothering me AT ALL this week it's still in my head that it could limit me & I was nervous for the MUs.  I remembered the WB/DU/MU workout from last year's open and the MUs felt really tough then so that was what I was preparing myself for again.  
I did a set of three off the start and was immediately surprised that it felt easier than expected and a bit disappointed that I didn't set my sights higher....to have the goal of getting through the 20 MUs & back to the rower.  When I'm in a workout & I have these quick glimpses of achieving what I would consider let's say "greatness" for myself in doing something that perhaps a small percentage around the world will do, it's challenging to immediately accept that personal challenge and do it...particularly when I hadn't deemed it possible prior to starting.  Hence, especially for myself the importance of dreaming big and letting go of the fear around all the "what-ifs" of not reaching those big dreams & goals. Because without them it's inevitable that I end up limiting myself from achieving my true potential -whatever that may be & I continue to be left feeling unfulfilled & curious of all the possibilities. 
I'm definitely experiencing growth.  I'm getting better at being in the moment & being positive and aware enough for bigger opportunities.  My habit for many years has been to mentally beat myself up over not being good enough & essentially experience a moment of self-hate every time I would drop the bar or break a set.  Needless to say that wasn't very fun so I've turned that around to staying open to what I CAN do.  When the set is broken the set it's immediately in the past.  It's done, history. So dwelling on the break does absolutely nothing for having a positive outcome.  In fact, learning to trust my gut and have faith that I DO have a strong internal regulator to know what I can handle when allows me to "best run my engine" (as my coach says) and set myself up for success. While sport is certainly about ability & determination there is also a lot of emotional maturity that is necessary for success over multiple events.

So back to the MUs after the set of 3 I did 2 and then onto singles to finish with 13.  I never missed any attempts and perhaps I should have attempted them a bit faster, but it was a good confidence builder for me and I'm excited to have my shoulder feeling better and to get back into some pull-up & muscle up volume that will surely come as the season progresses. 

Afternoon hike of about an hour. 

4 weeks down, 1 week to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment