Wednesday, January 30, 2013

2013 Winter Open Final Reflections




Event #4
6 Bar muscle-ups ub
20 deadlifts @ 185lbs all singles.  Drop from top & immediately pick up next
30 box jump overs (20") took approach of lateral jumps with pause on top, rebound on each side. Focused on constant motion
40 KBS (16kg) ub & maybe 1 no-rep.   They were strict at the top. 
50 DUs  I think 2 trips. 
25 cals on AD  Took about 1:30 for 26 cals.  Paced it but pushed mildly throughout to get the work done.  It was perfect that the past two mondays I did workouts with 24 cals per round so I knew that I could do 24 in 60-75s and completely expected around 90s in the middle of this chipper to get off and be able to finish strong the second half.  
50 DUs  Went UB this time around. 
40 KBS  UB again this time with 3-5 no-reps.  I could see Azadeh out of my periphery and she got to the swings b/f me, but I could see her resting.  I put the "one is easy" mantra to work here and just kept my mind focused on one & how many sets of five....I get to 10 reps and acknowledge that was easy and that I only have to do that 3 more times.  Focused on not getting flustered when reps were called just accepted it and fixed it for the next one. 
30 box jump overs   Azadeh got to these before me, but I knew I was closing and she seemed to be showing fatigue so I went to the box and kept with my lateral jump method I used last time, but this time I faced her instead of facing away.  I noticed her taking extra steps on the ground each time so I just focused on staying as relaxed and moving controlled as quickly as possible.  She beat me to the deadlifts as well and I thought she had dropped it after about 5 reps when i got to my bar.  
20 deadlifts  I knew I couldn't do singles like I had in the beginning if I wanted to win this workout.  I had done singles previous to save my legs/hamstrings for swings/box jumps, etc.  but this was it for my legs so I stood tall, took a deep breath and went for a big set.  Did 12 and dropped.  Short break and finished out the 8.  Felt good. Headed to the bar having no clue how many Azadeh had left, but I knew she was still on the deadlifts. 
6 bar muscle-ups   Tried to go UB here, but lost my grip after 5.  My palm had ripped just slightly after the first set of 6 and I could feel my hands shredding while I was knocking out the 5.  I came down after the slip to grab some chalk and could just see the blood on my hands, but jumped up and finished it out as Azadeh was starting her muscle-ups.  

It was certainly a surreal feeling to come behind like I did.  And it's always amazing to me how little it hurts when you win.  I refer to it as the "domination opiate".  I remember the feeling from my running days and this was one of those workouts that I got to experience that "magical moment" again.  My hands ripping or the discomfort of having done all the work didn't hurt and I felt better than I had all day.  

Going into the final I didn't think I had any chance to take over first, but I also didn't do the math, as I know myself that if I know there is no chance then I struggle to give my best effort b/c let's face it....at that point we're all exhausted and it's easy to fall into the "what's the point?  i'll just move through this." I was struggling with this as it was not really knowing where I stood but I focused on staying within striking distance and then took advantage of the opportunity to win the workout when I saw it.  

I went outside to call Corey and see if he had seen it on SicFit.  I was coming back in and heard them starting to announce the results.  I got to the doorway and ran into Meghan who was all bug-eyed and said to me, "You won!"  I was completely confused thinking...I know I won the last workout, what are you talking about?"  She then clarified, "You won the whole thing!" 
She then said I gave her a 'you better not be messing with me' look and the next thing I know I was standing on top of the podium.  

I've made the podium on many occasions throughout my running and fitness performances, but this is the first time I actually got to stand on top.  It was exactly how I imagined...the celebration of freedom and adventure that I pursue day in and day out.   Freedom to do what I value and the adventure of the thrill that accompanies celebrating each of those values.  In this instance my top value of self-actualization in the sport of fitness. 


When you're on top of a podium it's like climbing to the top of a mountain and appreciating the view.  It takes time and work to make your way to the top.  You stand there for a moment and appreciate it and then you turn and make the turn to head back down.   Back down, back to work with new level of curiosity and excitement towards the next mountain.  

Here you can read the after-thoughts and reflections I wrote for my gym on Sunday.  I called it Let Go of the "I Can't...." and Embrace the I Can...".  

1 comment: