Saturday, January 19, 2013

Carolina Fitness Challenge 2013

Second place overall.  Ties my placing from two years ago.  (Sat out last year.)
Overall results. 


Event #1: Tied for first.

 AMRAP in 5 minutes:
30 ring dip buy-in then
max rep squat cleans @ 95lbs
Score: 66 (36 squat cleans).  lead off with 10TnG, then 3s for awhile and then singles when I started to feel slow to get back to the bar for triples.  Did a couple doubles in the final minute and fell on my butt once in final minute for one missed rep.

Rest exactly 1 minute

Event #3 : Third(combined with event #1 due to weather being too muddy to jump outdoors)
4 minutes to find a max height box jump
Option of max squats in 30s for final 30s of 4 minutes for tie-breaker option.

24", 30"...slow jumps until 43.5".  A 3.5" PB.  Felt crazy to jump after all those squats.  Each one felt really tough, but gradually got my legs back under me as the time went on.
33 squats

Event #2: 14th
100m run: Run out 50m, grab lacrosse ball off cone and run back with ball in hand.
16.53.  Ironic that the run was my worst finish, but well...I've never been much of a sprinter and I made the mistake of not warming up hard enough.  I should know better enough from all my track sprints and what I know about myself that it takes me time to get "hot" in that time domain.  I warmed up well enough to not get hurt, but not to be competitive in this event.  It made the difference in the overall results.

  Event #4  3rd
AMRAP in 10 minutes: 1, 2, 3, ....ladder of shoulder to OH @ 115lbs, toes to bar
10 rounds + 2 S2OH


Final: 2nd...3 reps out of first which means I closed a ton with snatches as I was not quick off the squats. This workout felt like I was MUCH farther off the top girls.  Shows that you just have to do the best you can and not get caught up with where anyone else may be...especially in an ugly chipper like this one!


Overall, really pleased.  I stayed present and positive all day.  This is a first for me.  I did it #1 with "I am not afraid" as a reminder on my forearm....it's not always about the fear of failure, as I felt like that is what I've struggled with since my running days.   When I break it down I think it comes down to the "fear of success".  The expectations that come along with performances of a certain caliber and then the fear of the unknown that you will not meet expectations.  
Well, I'm moving past all that with an "It is what it is" approach.  I may finish first and I may finish last...but if I do what I can do in that moment then there is no need to put any attachment as to where I finish.  It just is.
This was the first time that I felt happy for myself when it was all said and done.  Not that I had bad experiences previously, but that I knew I had limited myself with a poor attitude in one event or antother.  Here I enjoyed the process.  I realized recently that as I get stronger and have less reason to fall back on my stories about myself such as, "I'm not strong enough or too small, not mentally tough enough, etc"  that I was started to put pressure on myself that "if I don't win then what's the point?"  But wait...if I do win, then what's the point?  It's not anything about my self-worth it's just one event on one day.   
So, I'm clearing the slate of all that and reminding myself that I compete because I love the experience of testing my limits and getting to know new levels of myself....things that cannot be learned in a gym by yourself...especially for someone like myself who thrives on the energy of others and the spectators. I love the performance feel of a competition even if it's just "exercise for time."  

Next up: Winter Open in Tucson, AZ Jan 26th.  The event will be streamed live on SicFit.  Will be a good one with many more challenges.  Check it out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment