Sunday, January 20, 2013

Training Wk of 1/14/13

Ended up having three/four nights of poor sleep following the competition and recovery was poor as a result this week.  The stress of the competition wasn't as much the 5 various events, but the long day.  We arrived for check-in at 7:45am and the last event ended at 8;30pm.  Awards sometime around 9p and it was after 10p by the time we were eating dinner.  When we got back to the hotel my mind was buzzing and had trouble falling asleep until sometime after midnight, but then my body is back up feeling wired by 6am on Sunday.  Sunday, Monday, Tuesday were some similar experiences where I'd be in bed, but struggled to fall asleep until between 10 & midnight.  As such we ended up scratching some of the scheduled training.  

Monday
14-Jan
PM
A. Back squat 3, 3, 3, 3, 3; rest 2 min
was feeling sore so decided to do high bar and focus on improving posture a bit. 

165lbs, 175, 175, 180, 180. 
B. Snatch balance 2, 2, 2, 2; rest 2 min
83, 93, 98, 103.  
Gradually feeling better here, but still a challenge for me. 
+
5 rounds for time:
24 calories airdyne
12 CTB chin ups
Was coaching the PM and ran out of time until around 630pm.  Had started one round conservatively, but too many people were on the floor to coach for me to finish so called it and then finished the 4 rounds somewhat conservatively in 9:56.  BF kip for first three rounds and then palm ripped so finished with standard kip.  All ub.  

15-Jan
Closed last night and opened today.  Eyes were burning this morning as I slept short of 6 consecutive hours.  
AM
Row 500m @2:00
Rest 2:30
x8
(rest 5 min bw sets 4/5)
1. 2:02.3, 2. 2:02.0, 3. 2:01.8, 4. 202.7, 5. 2:02.6, 6. 2:03.9 called it. 
Could hang out here and be OK, but didn't feel like I could push for the extra 1-2s faster and be ready to go back to it.  Felt encouraged that I could hold these paces when exhausted, as in recent weeks I was concerned if I'd be able to hit those splits when well rested.  

Coach said to rest until Friday after I updated on the splits and lack of sleep.  
PM
A. Push jerk 5, 4, 3, 2, 1; rest 2 min
B1. Press 2-3 tough reps x3; rest 10 seconds
B2. Amrap hspu in 30 seconds x3; rest 3 min
+
For time:
50 meter handstand walk
10 rope climbs
20 wall walks

16-Jan
AM
TGU - 100 not for time perfect reps

PM
Airdyne 45 min z1

17-Jan
AM
Airdyne 30 seconds @85%
Airdyne 30 seconds @50%
x30
For each thu AM session increase average watts per work set

PM
A. Back squat 15, 10, 5; rest 2 min
B. Squat snatch from high blocks; build to a max
+
30 squat clean for time 115#


I was a bit disappointed to miss some workouts, but was definitely the best thing to do.  Less is more when you're not recovered.  


18-Jan
AM
On the min for 24 min:
Min 1- 5 TnG power clean @55-65% 1rm 93-103lbs, 8-9s
Min 2- 5 burpee box jumps 24"  12-14s
Min 3- 3 muscle ups  
I have been struggling a lot with MUs recently...even if only in my mind. The first minute I missed the second rep and it took me almost the full minute to complete the three reps (these workouts are usually designed to complete the work in 10-15s and rest until the start of the next minute).  I was frustrated and started wondering 1. how I was goign to complete the workout and 2. how i am ever going ot reach my competitive goals if I didn't start tackling these!?!  
I acknowledged my frustration and focused on clearing it to make room for other possibilities that I CAN conquer these, but I have to allow the space (mostly in my mind) for it to occur.  The second round was a little bit better...hit two UB, but then missed the third.   Then on the third round I linked them and on the 4th round something clicked for me in that I felt myself bring my feet up higher during the bottom swing and get more out of my hips which allowed me to start catching myself higher in the rings.  I linked all the remaining rounds together and it felt great.  It was such a good feeling to turn my mind around mid-workout and to have some good learning come out of it.  

Training clips from today.   (Videos have been inconsistent as to which ones show up when I embed them so I've started linking as well.) +
~Two hours coaching and then

On the min for 24 min:
Odd- 5 TnG deadlift 173, 173, 173, 183, 183, 183, 193, 193, 193, 198, 198, 203. 8-11s
Even- 7 ring dips ub, but these feel really tough.  Still struggle with the coordination of dip.  13-15s 


Had team meeting immediately after finishing the DL/RD portion.  Then went to new space to work on answering some questions for lay out.  Was almost 5p by the time we made it home and I was starving.  So I ate and then realized that I was without a jump rope and didn't want to go back to the gym so put it off until Saturday. 
PM
With a 2 min countdown clock:
Run 400m
In remaining time… max reps double unders
Rest 2 min
x5


Good sleep, but woke up with mild sore throat.  I felt guilty for a minute about not doing the workout last night, but I think it would have lead to lower quality sleep as I often get a second wind if I workout too late in the day. 

19-Jan
7AM
10 rounds for time:
10 box jumps 20"
10 calories airdyne
10 knees to elbow
5 rounds in 8:30, 10 in 16:32.  
Paused on top of box jumps and all K2E uB.  AD obviously the slowest...still learning when to dig there and not only work steady. 

PM  11:30am
 
A. Hang squat snatch clusters 1.1.1.1.1x3; rest 30 seconds/rest 3 min
103lbs for all.  These were horribly inconsistent today.  Keep catching forward. Made 2-3 per set.  Not like me.  Part of the problem is I miss forward when I drop my head during the dip.  Need to remember to look ahead.  Some were good and felt strong with getting hips open.  
+
3 rounds For time:
35 wall balls
10 muscle ups

Have some micro tears on my wrists from yesterday's MUs and my right shoulder has been talking to me recently feeling really slow to warm-up so I didn't do these muscle-ups.  Instead I did the workout from last night and the wall balls. 
PM
With a 2 min countdown clock:
Run 400m
In remaining time… max reps double unders
Rest 2 min
x5
Round 1. 1:51/8 Dus (The 400m course at the gym isn't super fast and being that my throat is sore I took it down to 300m so that I could have more DU practice) 
Round 2. 1:25/43 Tripped @ 15
Round 3. 1:21/50 Tripped @ 30
Round 4. 1:19, 61 ub
Round 5. 1:17, 64 tripped @ 30

Rest exactly 2 minutes then 

3 sets of 35 wall balls for time with 2 minutes rest. 
Set 1. 26/2/7 1;25
Set 2. 15/10/10 1:28
Set 3. 15/5/5/4/6 1:39

Oh the wall ball.  Still learning to love.  Quite a bit of fatigue after each of the first sets...legs and shoulders.  

20-Jan
OFF-Slept well, but sore throat and swollen glands with addition of running nose this morning.  The sun is shining and will get out for hike here shortly.  Drinking lots of water...which I did plenty of yesterday, but definitely didn't eat enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment