Thursday, May 31, 2012

MidAtlantic Regional Day 2 Event 4


Event 4 

50 back squats @ 95lbs
40 pull ups
30 shoulder to overhead @ 95lbs
50 front squats @ 65lbs
40 pull ups
30 shoulder to overhead @ 65lbs
50 OHS @ 45lbs
40 pull ups
30 shoulder to overhead @ 45lbs
22 min time limit 




On paper this was the event that I felt catered most to my strengths.  High rep, fairly light loads, lots of pull-ups.  I knew it would be uncomfortable, but felt confident that I would be able to chip away at the reps.  

On day 1 they kept the heats the same for the second event of the day as they did for the first.  I again made the mistake of assuming that this is what they would do on day two.  I was in the last heat for event three and thought the same would happen for event 4.  Corey & I had a chill afternoon.  Went to the grocery store, back to the hotel where I tried to sleep for about 90 minutes.  I never fully fell asleep but had some good resting and then visualization time when I woke up.  

We arrived back at the venue around 3:45 (thought I was competing at 5).  I got some help taping my hands from the rips after event 3 in prep for the pull-ups.  At 4:00 the first heat was already started and I began my warm up running laps around the track surrounding the competition area while watching the girls in the first heat.  I was also running by the warm up area and heat schedule table and noticed Pamela who was in the same heat for event #3.  I chatted with her to find out that they switched the order and found out that I was to start at 4:25 not 4:55.  It was about 4:10 by this point.  

I informed Corey and headed to the warm up area.  Once again I did not have a plan for my warm up plus now I'm rushed so I did some squatting, pull-ups and pressing overhead.  Plus another bathroom break.  I only ever warmed up to 85lbs for a few reps overhead and they were calling us to line up.  I felt a bit frazzled, but not overly.  

Long story short I knew the first set of 30 shoulder to overhead at 95lbs would be a critical point for me in this workout and perhaps I talked myself into that as it was just that.  I went UB but steady on the 50 BS, pull-ups were something like 20-22 and shorter sets to 40.  Headed back to the shoulder to overhead I had hoped to hit at least 10 upwards of 15 and sets of 4-6 from there.  Well, my rhythm trying to pop it off my shoulder was off and I through it down after 7.  Watching the video I was just getting into my groove at 7 and there was not any real reason I needed to throw it down other than I was frustrated.  

From here on out it was a mental battle with that voice in my head making everything seem much harder than necessary which resulted in shortening sets and lengthening rest between sets.  I pulled myself back together in the final couple of minutes when I got to the OHS at 45lbs.  I found my mantra of "one is easy" and started knocking them out.  Ended up going 30 & 20 to finish that out.  I should have ran over to the pull-up bar at that point, but to be honest I just wanted it to be over.  THere was 30s left when I got back to the bar and I finished with 13 pull-ups when time expired.  

It never occurred to me that I wouldn't finish this workout.  While I had some mental battles throughout my mental game was still far better than a year ago.  There was negative talk, but not the extreme angry why do I even bother to do this voice.  Rather I was able to have the awareness that I didn't set myself up for success in this event.  Keep learning and growing for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment