Monday, November 14, 2011

Training 11/13/11 Moving Heavy Stuff



Sleep: 6:30p-4:30a + nap from 11:30a-1p. My first Sunday at my new place without anywhere to go other than training!  Watched the sunrise over the mountains from the hot tub!  It's great to be lame & go to bed early.  haha
Day 4 no sugar.  But there was a Highland Brewing Co Porter following today's workout.  B vitamins. :)
No videos from today, but I did grab a shot of the overlook marker: Woodfin Cascades Overlook. Elev 4535. 

Training @ 2:30p:
Run 15 min easy warm up with hip warm up drills
+
Carry a load on shoulder for 1/2 mile - heavy enough where you cant run with it
+
Drag something fairly heavy for 3 min forward
rest walk 2 min
Drag that same thing for 3 min backwards 
rest walk 2 min x 3
(constant pace, heavy breathing, little blood in legs, grinder efforts)

Corey & I went up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for today's workout.  He walked the dogs on the trails & I did this workout on the actual parkway for a flat surface.  I only had two groups of people pass me that were not in cars.  The first group had this Cocker Spaniel dog on a leash that was barking at me like crazy as I was dragging the tire.  As they approached the woman said to me, "He's trying to tell you that looks odd."  And her male sidekick commented, "Are you doing some kind of training??"  Uh, you got it dude! 

The fun or not so fun part of the parkway at least where we were is that you're almost always either climbing up or down.  Very little level surfaces.  

The first 15 minutes I started out running down & turned & came back up for the 2nd half.  Tried to keep it easy, but not a whole lot that is easy about running about a gradual incline.  

I carried a 75lb sandbag over my shoulders.  Used the car beforehand to mark off 3/10th of a mile out so it was a tad longer than 800m.  Took me 5:10 on the uphill & 4:50 on the down hill portion back.  I had it on my shoulders the whole time.  

I brought a tired with me with a rope & yoke thing attached.  Tried putting all 3 of the 25lbs fillers from the sandbag into the tire, but it barely budged.  So I took 1 out and went with 50lbs.  This also may have been too heavy, but it was hard.  For some reason I had envisioned myself dragging that thing at least a portion of the way up the hill towards the 3/10th of a mile turn around.  Boy was I wrong.  It was definitely a grunt effort & I'd estimate that I made it 150m in 3 minutes.  It was a steady constant struggle.  My legs were burning & felt similar to a hard row effort with the breathing less intense.  Later in the day my legs were fatigued to walk the stairs in my house so I took that as a good thing.  Next time perhaps drag the tire with 25lbs so that I can cover more ground??

Fun times!  And ready for that rest day tomorrow.  My elbow flexors are quite sore from the pullup/burpee workout Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment