Saturday, December 17, 2011

Training 12/17/11 Muscle-ups PR

Sleep: 8pm-5:30am.
Alcohol: almost a whole beer last night.  It was a wild Friday night.  haha
Last night and today: Sugar: chocolate PB malt balls and chocolate covered toffee.  PB chocolate chip cookie all deliciousness from Earth Fare.


A. Clean - build to a tough single - rest as needed - NOT a 1RM
133, 143, 148F, 148F, 148 with attempt at a power clean: F. Notes about this below. 



B. Front Squat - 3 x 3@ 80% effort; rest 90 sec
3 sets of 123lbs.  Felt good. 
C. HAng Power Snatch TnG practice - 10 reps fast and light; rest 45 sec x 3.  I had some ugly snatching last weekend. So today focused on: practiced with 53lbs getting that weight on the heels there and engaging the low back and bum and rhomboids, then pull up and back!  These were fun! 

 
+
for reps/time:
AMRAP Muscle Ups
25 KBS - 1.5 pd
Row 1K
Results: 6 MUs which is a new PR!  Up from 5 when I was working MUs fairly regularly back in the summer. I need to work the straight arm turn out at the bottom.  It feels like my arms are straight, but the video replay indicates otherwise.  Corey is going to focus on some manual therapy to my upper torso to help the ROM here.  

I admit that I was a bit nervous for these KBS.  I have limited experience swinging the 1.5p for full swings.  I think I did it a time or two when I was following Big Dawgs leading into Regionals last spring. My plan going in was 15 and 10.  I almost through the first full swing through the ceiling and felt great at 15 so went UB.  I told Corey later in the day that I could have done 40.  (Video of the MUs and swings to follow. )
Made my way over to the rower and my ass was pretty much burning from the start.  Ended up pulling negative splits of 2:07 and 2:04 for an 1k time of 4:11.0 and overall time for the workout of 5:56.  I didn't know what to expect going in, but overall I'm quite pleased. 

Back to what I wanted to say about the cleans.  I read all of the programming for the week when I received it earlier this week.  Going into Wednesday I was stoked for the HPC as I couldn't even remember the last time I did a single HPC.  As such, I easily hit a PR of 148lbs in the 4 attempts I had.  
Thursday I was thinking about the heavy overhead stuff and new that even after a long day I had a good chance to hit a PR there.  (Again, largely b/c it's been over a year since my last set of a heavy 5.) 
Friday I rested and knew that today I was going to be doing some light snatching and more so looming over me was the last portion with the MU attempt for reps that I was a bit unsure about and then the heavy swings and my not so favorite thing to end with, but a row.  However, I completely forgot about the clean single and front squats.  
I rolled into the gym this morning and pulled up the program on my phone.  Suddenly I remembered reading about and at the time being excited for a single clean from earlier in the week.  However, as I openly told Corey this afternoon, "I wasn't very stoked for it.  Everyone else was working out (in the midst of the Throwdown Series' 12 Days of xmas wod) so no one was watching."  

He told me to "put that in your blog".  

So there you have it.  I like to perform and I especially enjoy an audience.  

I look forward to writing about the results from Tom Rath's StrengthsFinder 2.0 that I took a couple weeks back.  It was eye-opening.  Perhaps that will make for a good Sunday morning reflection....post hill sprints!   

No comments:

Post a Comment