Monday, December 5, 2011

Training 12/5/11 Sprints in the Pool

Sleep: 8p-4am Great energy all day. No caffeine
Sugar: 2-3 chocolate covered toffee almonds, 1 large slice of pizza leftover from yesterday.  Tasted better than yesterday.  Not sure the last time we had pizza before this wkend. Definitely not since I started this blog.

Training @ 2pm
Swim - 5 min warm up drills
+
dive in, swim 25 m free @ 100%
rest 45 sec walk back to start x 6
+
50 m free @ 100% dive in
rest active 3 min x 5
+
5 min continuous easy swim cool down


Results: 
I should have YouTubed some warm up swim drills to do, as I got in the water & was unable to recall minimal from the Beginner Swimming class I took at the U of Akron in 1999.  All I did remember was one drill where your lead arm stays in front of your head until the trail arm meets it.  I did that for about 50m and then practiced a couple dive in starts as I was also clueless about how to go about it.  Definitely wished I had watched some competitive footage before I went to the pool.  I'll know for next time.  I kept feeling like I was diving a bit too deep and I was definitely smacking the water pretty good.  
My timing system worked like this: Started my watch and dove in at the 10s mark.  I'd hit the wall and look at the watch that was still running.  So, not the most accurate, but it gives us an idea.  I just prefer more exactness. :) 
25m results/number of breaths
1. 16/3-5
2. 16/3
3. 16/3
4. 16/2
5. 15/16 3
6. 16/ 3 
By the time I rested 45s, got out of the pool and noted my splits/breaths which I was trying to limit somewhat I was essentially started about the top of every 2 minutes. or about 1:45 total rest. Felt mostly recovered each time. 


50m results....breaths were about every 5 strokes first couple then fighting myself to limit to every 3 strokes. 
1. 35
2. 37
3. 37
4. 36/37
5. 37
Whew!  That was tough.  That last set I had one stroke where my fingers didn't fully get out of the water as I was reaching for the next stroke.  Who knows what I looked like, but it didn't feel all that pretty.   
There was a guy in the lane next to me doing slow laps with a pull-buoy between his legs which took me back to my early days in the pool when I messed myself up running.  This is how I spent the majority of the time I have been in a pool.  As such, I don't feel like I really know how to propel with my lower half and feel like it's mostly upper body pulling.  For what that's worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment