Saturday, December 31, 2011

Training 12/27/11 "Jackie"

Sleep 8:30-4am
Sugar: Yes, you can assume so.  Butter shortbread cookies.

Training @ 8am, fasted except MaxFiber drink & coffee with creamer
PM Hike: 45 min

I was nervous going into this one.  I've never done "Jackie" before and I'm not sure what I dislike more thrusters or wall balls...which makes the rest of this week's testing somewhat comical.


"Jackie: 1k row, 50 thrusters @ 45lbs, 30 pull-ups for time.
Paced the row at around 2;07 and then a 2:09 to finish the row in 4:16.
My initial plan was to go 20, 15, 15 on the thrusters and then I received the instructions to go "AMRAP on thrusters & pull-ups".  This definitely changed my perspective when I picked up the bar and I had no idea what to expect.

I hit 20 and felt fine.  At 30 I was still feeling good, but it was as if I was waiting for the pain to set in and got scared as I approached 40.  So I put the bar down at that point although it would not have been that tough to finish the 50.  I think I was more shocked that I was feeling so good, as I was anticipating the workout to be a miserable experience.

Once I put the bar down is when it started to hurt a bit more and it took me longer then necessary to get back to it.  Finished out the 10 and made my way to the pull ups.  For these my initial game plan was three sets of 10, but the email that James sent instructed "AMRAP pull-ups and then hang on.

I hit 17 and came down.  Replaying the video I was still fine at 17, but again I'm a bit unprepared mentally for knocking out big sets of reps.  Next went 23 and then one last set into 30 to finish in 7:48.  My goal was sub 8 so I was happy.

Oddly enough I found myself looking forward to doing that workout again with the goal of hitting sub 7:30 the next time.  Coach thinks faster yet.  Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment