Friday, June 22, 2012

120621 Heavy Deads & Muscle-ups!

Sleep: 8p-5a woke up just before alarm.  Good energy again today. Coached 6:30-8:30a & 9:45-12:30. Would have only been the first two hours but I covered for another coach.  Despite the long morning it felt easy and was a lot of fun!  I love my "job"!
Afternoon hike of ~30min

Training @ 9am




If the video is not showing up you can view it here. 
For time:
6-5-4-3-2-1
DL 225
Muscle up


I was pretty excited when I saw this workout.  But certainly unsure as to how the deadlifts would feel.  The last time I did any deadlifting was the third day of the Regional competition when I also had to do 21 reps of 225lbs & 21 muscle ups but in the fashion of 3 rounds of 7&7.  Today's rep scheme was far more favorable for my mind.  


I warmed up bar weightx10 95x5, 135x5, 185x5 (this felt smooth & I knew at that point it was going to be a good day), 205x3, 225x3.  I jumped up to the rings for 2-4 muscle ups after each of these warm ups sets.  (Only on one set did I do 4)  Felt really good.  I always feel good on muscle ups days following weighted pull-ups.  


I'm slowly but surely getting smoother at linking muscle-ups.  I'm falling more back/straight down rather than lowering through the eccentric portion of the dip as I did all winter long.  As James told me in our last Skype call I'm a "slow learner" but in my opinion once my body does get something I can typically be quite consistent.  


My baseline goal for this workout was 10 minutes and my "I want to be a rock star" goal for this workout was sub 5.  Result?  7:24.  Right smack in the middle.  


I was able to do all the DLs UB and with relatively little effort compared to how much effort it took me to do one rep at a time for the 21 on the 3rd day of regionals (my body was a bit more rested today  :)  Nonetheless I was very happy and it definitely gave me confidence to be able to pull 225lbs off the ground without significant focus.  At regionals it felt like I had to focus in for a 1 rep max with every lift.  Today I just had to stay tight & generally focused to keep it moving.  


In time it's my goal to do this whole workout UB.  That's when I can talk get that sub 5 min goal for a workout like this. 


Overall, I'm very happy where I am and how I'm feeling at this point of the year. One day at a time!  


I happened to find this old video from August of 2011 when I was doing 4 sets of 4-6 sumo deadlifts as a strength.  The video is my last set at 225lbs at which I worked pretty hard for the 4th and didn't feel like I had a 5th.  Always fun to look back and acknowledge progress.  Despite any focus on deadlifting....I'm weak in my squatting relative so that is the focus and getting stronger where I need to get stronger is helping everything else overall.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I loved the dog wandering into the frame. I also love that you were killin' it barefoot.

    ReplyDelete