Friday, June 8, 2012

6/1/12 Chamber Challenge 5k



Tonight was the Chamber Challenge 5k.  CFA had a couple teams & a few more individuals participate.  This was the first 5k I ever ran in Asheville back in June 2009 which was also the last time I ran this race.

It was a bit of a long day as I was at the gym at 5:30am (up at 4am) and then the race started at 4:30pm.  I took a nap in the car for about 20 minutes during the afternoon and felt pretty good.

The first mile has a lot of downhill & the race went out fast.  The mile marker is about half way up this first long climb that must be a half mile or so.  I rolled through the first mile at 6:13 and knew it was going to start to hurt from there.  It was fun as my three other teammates were all within reaching distance of one another.

I felt really good that first mile and then started to get a bit of discomfort just before the mile marker.  From there is was hanging on right at that threshold point.  It was tough, but I did what I could.

The second mile had some decent climbs and a bit of rolling hills.  I definitely made ground on people on the downhills and held my own on the climbs.  Second mile went by in 13:23 (7:10 2nd mile, ouch).

The last mile has this long slow incline for about a half mile or more and then it was about 100m downhill into the finish.  I was working on hanging on to my position and got passed by another female with a local running store jersey on at the end of that long uphill.  I couldn't respond when she went by but when we made that downhill turn to the finish I closed hard and timed it so that I snuck by her about 20 ft before the line.  Just enough that she had no time to respond.  I'm sneaky like that.  :)

Overall time was 21:45 which is a minute slower than 2009.  I may be slower, but I was running more then as one of my college teammates lived with Corey & I for our first 4 months or so in Asheville & he got me out on the track more regularly than present.  Not to mention I'm significantly stronger.  I think I'll be under 21 before the end of the year on faster courses.  Two more races later this summer.

As a team we took 3rd in the Coed Div! We lost to the Jus' Running Racing Team (not shocking) & the Henderson Co. Chamber team.  I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment