Sunday, January 15, 2012

Training 1/14/12 Heavy 5 Back squat, Hang clean Ladder

Sleep 830p-4a woke up without alarm (90 min before scheduled alarm).  
First day of cycle. A bit edgy from caffeine in pain killers.  2 extra strength tylenol (4am) and 1 excederin (5am) which got me through the morning & then was miserable through the early afternoon as I waited for Corey to complete the OPT Construction Series. 




A. back squat - build to a tough 5 fast - short rests - speed out of bottom
Wanted to hit 175x5 after feeling good with the 5 single there last week.  Build up was something like this: 45x5, 95x5, 115x5, 145x4, 165x2, 175x5. Felt good.  Much easier than I was anticipating. Thought about going up for another effort, but then thought better of it. Fun to compare to my back squat 5RM of 180lbs which was not so pretty. 


B. 1-5 hang squat clean ladders unbroken in 10 min - 105#
I've been thinking about this one and was honestly looking forward to it.  But I sure wasn't very present throughout.  Instead it seems to highlight my biggest weakness: my mind.  I randomly had hoped to have 3 rounds in by the 5 min mark.  When I finished round 2 at 4:20 I knew I was off.  My primary goal was 5+ and if I had ever made the decision to push it a bit I could have easily hit 5.  I had some spectators, but no one on me to WORK.  (Which sometimes helps very well and other times I'm not in a good place and just want to be left to suffer in my own negativity.)  
My 2nd round was my slowest which may be evident of my inadequate warm up for this kind of workout. (Didn't do anything to increase breathing or HR beforehand.  Just squatted and then did a couple reps at 83lbs and  I think I did a rep or two at 105 -technically 103lbs as I used the ladies' bar- but not even sure I was sweating beforehand and my HR was definitely not elevated much.)  So I did the first round and my body/brain was not welcoming to the increased HR/breathing.  Have I mentioned that I'm a big fan of staying in my comfort zone? As the Big Dawg saying goes I need to "get comfortable with discomfort".  
Above are my splits but here is the breakdown:
1) 1:45
2) 2:35
3) 2:25
4) 2:20
4 rounds plus 6 reps or 66 total reps.  Will be much improved next time around! 
And I'm definitely happy that my squatting is coming back around!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment